If there is any mustache style that doesn’t follow any rule & always like to go beyond any boundary then that’s the Walrus mustache. You must have seen a walrus right? A big, fat flippered marine mammal. May not face to face but on the TV or the internet. It has a mustache like thick hair bush above the mouth which almost covers up its mouth. It’s really bizarre & amazing that this mustache of an animal is also very popular now & it has been named after a walrus.
The beginning of this mustache style said to be started with King James I of England. Besides him, many men followed this mustache style in that era. But the main icon to wear this mustache style believes to be Friedrich Nietzsche, a German critic, poet, philosopher & composer at the end of the 1800s. Even now this style is popular among men. But this style is mainly suitable for the men of middle age to old age. If you want to see someone famous with a walrus mustache then look at Nick Offerman.
A true walrus mustache is full of bushiness & mustache hairs. While you need to look for bushiness & extra lengthen mustache hair to cut for most of the mustache styles, then you need to keep all these for a walrus mustache style. The walrus mustache starts from bellow your nose & then come across your bottom lip. To be called a walrus mustache, the mustache hair must cross the upper lip & slightly cover your mouth. If it doesn’t, then it will be called a Chevron mustache. Actually that’s the minimum level of mustache hair growth for walrus mustache. When it comes to an extreme level, the walrus mustache will totally cover your mouth like a curtain. It’s almost like a beard, but instead of being below your bottom lip it stays above your upper lip.
Not everyone can wear a walrus mustache. A walrus mustache is a sign of patience & simplicity. There are some rules to follow if you want to keep a walrus mustache. But one thing you must consider that this mustache style looks good on older men. Rarely you can see it on a young man. Here are the rules you need to follow.
- The first rule for styling walrus mustache is that you need to keep patience. You need a longer time to give your mustache the walrus look. The minimum time requirement is 3 months, nevertheless it’s for the men who’s mustache grows really fast. The timing will vary man to man. You can not call your mustache a walrus mustache until it touches your bottom kip. But before that, you can call it theChevron mustache.
- Before wearing a walrus mustache you have to decide how wide you want your mustache to grow. One thing you should keep in your mind before deciding, that is,the wider your mustache is, the narrower your face will look. Decide carefully because this mustache style going to change your total outlook.
- Shave your face at least once a week. Don’t shave or cut your mustache at all. Here are some tips you can follow during shaving:
As the preparation of shaving, prepare your face starting with gentle facial scrub & washing your face with lukewarm water. This will make your beard get smooth to cut easily. You can also take a hot wet towel & press that to your face for 1-2 minutes.
Always shave with small strokes at a time.
Wash your razor several times with clean water during shaving.
Look for the corners & edges of your mustache. Be careful during shaving those areas. Don’t shave any portion of your mustache.
If you are using an electric trimmer then make sure that your face is completely dry.
- Always comb your mustache to avoid a messy look. You also need to decide how long you want your walrus mustache to grow. Ifit exceeds your limit then cut the excess hair with fine scissors.
- Here is the last but not least rule you need to follow in case of keeping a walrus mustache. As you know,walrus mustache covers your mouth, so it is common that when you are eating something, the food may stick into your mustache. So after every time you eat wash & comb your mustache well. Try to use a straw while drinking beverages. If you are a cigarette smoker then keep cautions during smoking because a small fire can ruin your total efforts.
Now you know that growing a walrus mustache is not an easy task, but the result will amaze you. If you can give all the efforts mentioned then the result will be a thick & full-bodied mustache that can make anyone jealous.
Most Popular Walrus Mustache Styles:
Recommended For You:
- Top 10 Moustache Styles
- 8 Best Beard Trimmers and Buyers guide
- 42 Mustaches And Beard Styles For Guys
- Best Tips for Growing a Great Beard
- 6 Most Popular Goatee Styles
- 7 Common Beard Problems and Solutions