Human skin is naturally very sensitive and our face is probably the part we tend to take care of more than any other outer part. We use many different products with several ingredients and aftershave is one of them to take care of our skin. No matter how experienced we are or how high-tech razor we use, our skin might be cut accidentally and that’s where aftershave, the special tonic comes in the scene.
Types of Aftershave Products:
- Lotion: Good for normal to oily skin types
- Oil: suitable for dry skin to make it soft and fresh
- Tonic: contain too little moisturizing ingredients which are why extra moisturizer needs to be applied after applying tonic and tonic with witch hazel is better than alcohol for sensitive skins
- Balm: suitable for normal to dry skin
- Gel: good for normal skin and are used to make you feel cool and fresh
01. Best After-shave Balm
The Sandalwood balm is suitable for all skin types as balms are naturally suitable for all. Moreover, this one lacks alcohol which is a preferable choice for many!
- Calms irritation and eliminates razor burn which is fantastic for sensitive skin
- The non-drying formula gives a perfect finish to your shaving
- Having non-greasy hydrating formula to make your face feel soft and smooth
02. Calvin Klein OBSESSION For Men – Budget Friendly
This 1987 FiFi award-winning product is a long-lasting scent-featured aftershave balm, which is a special one for men with sensitive skin, having a variety of moisturizing ingredients and vitamins to prevent dryness and itchiness.
- Non-greasy texture makes the application simple
- No extra cologne is needed due to its long-lasting scent
03. The Blades Grim – Highest Quality Aftershave Oil
This USA-based handmade aftershave oil is prepared as a strong antiseptic and a great moisturizer to provide you with a cool and calm fresh feeling.
- Drip top bottle to extract the exact amount and avoid accidental overuse
- Contains no alcohol
- Includes Aloe-Vera juice, a strong and effective healing property
A warm and toasty mix of Venezuelan Tonka, Orange Peel, Mandarin, Coriander Leaves and Star Anise
04. Proraso After Shave Lotion
The Proraso After Shave Lotion is another sensitive skin-friendly (if not overly sensitive) after shaving lotion that contains soothing moisturizing properties to reduce inflammation. It contains Menthol and Allantoin, a noted skin softener to instantly improve dermis texture. Its fragrance is long-lasting. This is a paraben-free product.
- Contains cool and refreshing moisturizing properties
- Menthol cologne-based fairly long-lasting lotion
- Contains witch hazel to reduce inflammation and promote skin healing
- Contains Eucalyptus oil to purify the skin
Alcohol Denat, Aqua (Water/Eau), Glycerin, Parfum (Fragrance), Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Leaf Water, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Menthol, Citronellol, Geraniol, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Citral, Limonene, Linalool, Coumarin, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, CI 42090 (FD&C Blue No. 1), Cl 19140 (FD&C Yellow
05. Aqua Velva Cooling After Shave for Men, Ice Sport
The Aqua Velva cooling aftershave is a classy one, holding its popularity since 1917. This one comes with classic American fragrance and shatterproof bottle. This anti-bacterial product makes you feel cool and refreshed after every use and also firms and tones your skin.
- Effective for men firms and tones skin.
- Powerful menthol-cooling sensation.
SD Alcohol 40 B, Water, Glycerin, Fragrance, Tocopheryl Acetate, Panthenol, Menthol, Benzophenone 1, Ext Violet 2, Blue
06. Clubman Pinaud after shave lotion
The Clubman Pinaud is one of the most talked-about aftershave lotions due to the real manly fragrance (some type of lemon-cleaner) it offers and at the same time because of its very much affordable price tag. This one is a pure example of the saying “old is gold”.
SD Alcohol 40, Water, Fragrance (Parfum), FD&C Yellow 5 Aluminum Lake, D&C Red 33, D&C Green 5
07. Paul Sebastian Aftershave
The Paul Sebastian is a high-quality aftershave lotion; its fragrance exudes a real sense of manliness. Though it doesn’t come with moisturizing properties, it does a great job in case of healing the skin providing an antibacterial effect.
- Does a great job healing the skin and providing an anti-bacterial effect
- Only a small amount can do the job
- Contains mild scent
- Doesn’t come with moisturizing properties
- Changes in manufacturer packaging cause risk of not having the original one
- Safety warning: avoid contact with eyes; inflammable! So, keep away from heat sources.
Aromatic spices, hints of sweet florals, citrus plus the richness of soft woods and musk
08. Gillette After Shave Gel
The Gillette after shave is a special gel for sensitive skin that is formulated with gentle moisturizers and skin calmers. It has a manly scent that doesn’t overpower cologne.
- Non-greasy formulation
- Formulated with gentle moisturizers and skin coolers
- Light and decent masculine fragrance
Water/Eau, Alcohol Denat., Cyclopentasiloxane, PEG-12 Dimethicone, Triethanolamine, Fragrance/Parfum, Menthyl Lactate, Phenoxyethanol, Carbomer, Polysorbate 80, Disodium EDTA, Benzophenone-4, Green 3
09. Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm
The Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm is another special aftershave balm especially produced for sensitive skins to soothe. And Nivea is a traditional brand for over 100 years. Once applied you never feel the burning sensation. Instead of you feels cooler and there is no burning sensation once applied. Instead, you feel cool and slightly soothed. It also comes with some other features…
- Enriched with Vitamin E, soothing Chamomile and Witch Hazel extracts
- A great product for men with dry skin
- Contains no alcohol
- Slightly strong fragrance
- Safety warning: external use only & avoid contact with eyes
Water, glycerin, dicaprylyl carbonate, panthenol, isopropyl palmitate, tapioca starch, tocopheryl acetate, bisabolol, chamomilla recutita (matricaria) flower extract, glycine soja (soybean) oil, triceteareth-4 phosphate, carbomer, sodium hydroxide, citric acid, phenoxyethanol, methylparaben, fragrance.
10. Old Spice Classic Scent after Shave
Old Spice is a very popular brand aftershave from 30 years. I saw my dad use it first then I am using and I highly recommended this aftershave. This aftershave can be used at any time to ensure a cool and refreshed and smart feeling. It comes with some other features like:
- Contains plenty of alcohol and no moisturizing ingredients
- Comes in a shatterproof plastic bottle not in the classic glass bottle anymore
Alcohol Denat, Water, Propylene Glycol, Fragrance, Benzyl Alcohol
After-Shave Buyer’s Guide:
The aftershave works as an antiseptic and as a moisturizer to soothe your skin and to protect from bacteria after you cut your skin unintentionally despite being an experienced one. The ingredients which are responsible for killing the bacteria are alcohol and witch hazel. The fragrance they carry is like a gift that sometimes can decently do the task of your body perfume in case that is unavailable.
How to Use Aftershave:
The procedure is quite simple but most of the time we fail in taking care of some points while using the aftershave. Let’s have a look at the procedure and the points (bold text) to be taken care of:
Firstly, rinse your face thoroughly just after shaving and pat dry with a clean towel.
Secondly, pour a dime-sized amount on your palm and rub them thoroughly on your both hands and the surface of your skin to ensure an even coating.
Remember, you better do not wash off the aftershave as it helps to retain the moisture on your skin surface; through avoiding wrinkles, it also helps to give you a bit more youthful and vibrant look even at your aged age. Moreover, it also works as an antiseptic and antifungal.
When you’ve decided to go for an aftershave the question comes first how to choose the best aftershave out of so many in the market. Well, it actually depends on your purpose and more importantly your skin type. Some of the several types of aftershave are lotion, oil, tonic, balm, and gel. Let’s get to know a little about the types of aftershave before we go for the 10 best aftershaves for men. Mainly two types: balm and splash.
Lotion: good for normal to oily skin types
Oil: suitable for dry skin to make it soft and fresh
Tonic: contain too little moisturizing ingredients which is why extra moisturizer needs to be applied after applying tonic and tonic with witch hazel is better than alcohol for sensitive skins
Balm: suitable for normal to dry skin
Gel: good for normal skin and are used to make you feel cool and fresh
Balm, Lotion or Splash:
The choice is yours but before that have a look at which one has what to offer you and our choice is also there to help you through.
It is better not to use aftershave lotion or splash as they contain denatured alcohol that is prone to drying out your skin and also sting your skin. On the other hand, aftershave balms contain a rich mixture of natural ingredients like jojoba oil, argan, witch hazel (anti-inflammatory and antiseptic), aloe vera, various vitamins, chamomile, calendula, tea tree oil etc. which are derived from plants and trees. The balm is a good choice, particularly in dry or cold climates as it provides more moisture to the skin. On the other side, splash is a good choice for people with oily skin who live in humid climates.
Before you use an aftershave balm, some other necessary things need to be considered for a comfortable perfect shave. Such as, ideally the best time to shave would be immediately following a hot shower or when your face soaked with hot water using a towel; the hot water will prepare your skin for a comfortable shaving experience making it soft. However, whatever the aftershave balm you decide to go with, just remember that every single balm is produced to provide a sense of cool and refreshing feeling after your shave. So, except this common factor available in every aftershave balm though sometimes stings are there in some products, considering your other necessities along with limitations, you can choose anyone from the above aftershaves for men. We have already propounded all their major aspects here in it. You just need to be clear enough from your necessity perspective and choose the right one that suits you.
Comfortable shaving with the best aftershave!
Recommended For You: